So you're going to run your own Open Home - good on you! Its simple and straightforward.
Have a plan for how you want people to view the home. After you have welcomed your viewers suggest they follow that path - "good morning, the lounge is on the left, with the kitchen just behind it". We are fans of showing your best first, so blow people away up front. If you have a key feature, for example, a view from the lounge direct visitors there first, and get them to finish there.
The purpose of the open home is to allow interested buyers to get a look and feel for the property - don't pressure them too much at this stage. They are probably used to some pressure from other open homes and will be on guard - so be different and give them space to relax in the home.
Some things to remember:
- It is your home
- You remain in control at all times
- Visitors are responsible for their children
- You will hear comments that are not entirely complimentary - try not to take them to heart
- Listen for comments that will help you understand (and therefore address) potential buyer issues
- If you are not comfortable with the visitor, do not let them in.
- For your own peace of mind lock away special documents, jewelry, or other items.
- Remove your vehicles from the garage and driveway and keep your spare keys and wallets locked away.
- Its ok for you to ask who they are and where they are from - and to expect an honest response.